31 May 2011

Cubist Women

And not a Picasso in sight! 
The Bohemian artist Frantisek Kupka (1871-1957)  was inspired by Italian Futurism but the Salon des Independants hung him in their Cubist room. 
In his works, Kupka works explored the relationship between motion, color, and music, so you could call it Orphism, although these two paintings were made before Apollinaire coined that term.  Kupka's draftsmanship, his coloration, and his inventiveness are a delight.





A rather obscure artist, Rudolph Schwankovksy, seems to have encountered the wavy-glass effect, while German-born photographer Erwin Blumenfeld (1897-1969) may have been commissioned by French Vogue or Harper's Bazaar.  It's a point I keep returning to, that it is the art of the work that matters and the terms we use to describe it are useful if they increase or understanding and, if not, then not. 
Images:
1. Frantisek Kupka -Woman Gathering Flowers, c.1907, Pompidou Center, Paris.
2. Frantisek Kupks - Woman in Triangles, 1909, Pompidou Center, Paris.
3. Rudolph Schwankovksy - Woman At A Piano, 1943, Orange County Museum of Art.
4. Erwin Blumenfeld - Lisette Behind Fluted Glass, 1943, Pompidou Center, Paris.


6 comments:

Rouchswalwe said...

I'd not come across the term "Italian Futurism" before. Once again, Jane, you have chosen the perfect set of images to get me all in an artistic dither.

Vincent Nappi said...

these are beautiful. I'd seen Kupka's older figurative work, but not these more avant garde pieces. thanks for sharing! this blog is a treasure.

Jane said...

Rouchswalwe, I used to live in a place that had elongated wavy glass panels at the sides of the front door. One time when a friend was visiting, she said to me "Your cat looked so fractured and pathetic sitting there peering through the glass that I had to let her in." Turned out to be interetsing because I didn't have a cat - she got my home mixed up with the place next door. Wavy glass can do that.

Jane said...

Hello, Vincent. Kupka was a prolific artist. His satirical drawings would have been swamped by these bright colors, I think.

DSM said...

WOW...that second Kupka.

RS's pianist always makes me think of Christmas time; a poinsettia form?

Jane said...

DSM, truly I found little information about Schwankovsky, other than his connection to California. His mixing of forms may not be precisely cubist, but it owes something to the spirit of the moment. Poinsettia are tropical plants, so they may bloom year round out there. Other than that, I have no clues.