02 July 2011

Ideal Weather

The always provocative Theophile Gauthier (18i1-1872) described this time of year as "the inferno of ideal weather."   How Romantic to complain of sunshine and warm breezes, to wring discontent from a day at the beach. 












As for me, my heart beats faster and I can almost smell the deliciousness of salt in the air as I look at these images.  Wish I were there. And in imagination, I am.  Enjoy summer.












Images:
1. Henri Chouanard - Two Women on a Beach, c. 1910, Alinari Archives, Florence.
2. Harry Gruyaert - Picardie, Bay of Somme, Fort Mahon Beach, 1977, Pompidou Center, Paris.
3. Jacques Henriot-Durant - Bath Cabins at Saint-Valery, 1978, Musee des Beaux-Arts, Rennes.

10 comments:

Rouchswalwe said...

Happy Summer, Jane! Moments ago, we were treated to a magnificent fireworks display. In Japan, I used to sit on the beach and watch the fireworks explode over the water. Such beauty!

alestedemadrid said...

Same to you, Jane. I have just discovered I am a romantic too; I can't stand heat for too long. I wish I were in that beach now.

Timothy Cahill said...

Jane, I had not thought of Gauthier as quite so cranky. Fun fact. Do you know, is top photo hand-tinted or autochrome? Either way, it's scrumptious.

femminismo said...

I can smell the sea air now too. Wish I were there, but we're going into the woods. Happy Fourth!

TG said...

Incroyable! ce tableau de henriot Durant, ; je ne le connaissais pas… C'est ici que j'habite… D'autant plus incroyable qu'il n'y a pas de plage à Saint Valéry

Jane said...

Rouschwalwe, happy summer to you, also. maybe it's time for some visual fireworks.

Jane said...

Alestedemadrid, when I lived near the ocean as a child, we used to go walking along the beach at all seasons. No need to limit yourself, although it can get very windy in the winter.

Jane said...

Tim, all of Chouanard's works that I've are autochromes. Like many Europeans, he used the method much longer than most Americans did. His pictures mostly date from the 1910s and 1920s. As for Gauthier, perhaps he was just being contrary to get attention. He got mine! This is one of those quotes I've saved for years. Unfortunately, at this point I'm not sure which work it came from.

Jane said...

Bienvenu, TG. Peut-etre le musee des beaux-arts a Rennes a donne le mauvais titre a ce tableau. Certainement, c'est une belle plage.

TG said...

My mistake : il doit s'agir de Saint Valéry en Caux, je pensais à Saint Valéry Sur Somme…